Monday, July 16, 2012

July: Pioneer Month - Diving for Crickets

I am using July as an opportunity to revive the fun pioneer songs from the Children's Songbook.  There is a story in this month's friend called 'Saving the Wheat'.  I took this story and created a different version of "fishing" that allowed us to pick a variety of songs.

I printed out little crickets and a seagull picture.  I then placed the cricket cut-outs in a bin of rice (you could also use wheat berries if you have them and are willing to use them).  I then attached paper clips to each cricket.  For the pole I used a piece of wood (skewer) and yarn to make a pole for the seagulls.  I attached my seagull picture to the yarn that had a magnet attached to the bottom.  (Hopefully that all made sense).  I began by telling the kids the story from the friend and then we went diving for crickets! Each cricket had a song written on the back. I enjoyed the simple way of bringing a real adaption to the game and I think the kids will remember the bugs! They had lots of fun!




1 comment:

  1. This was AWESOME! I dressed up in my daughter's Trek clothing and the kids adored it. I read the story and this idea for the seagulls was so perfect. I am so very grateful that I found this on the facebook group just a few days ago. Wasn't that neat that people were asking for YOUR idea on YOUR facebook group? You are amazing!!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete