Saturday, January 14, 2012

Snowball Fight

January we find ourselves (in some places) covered in snow and shivering in the cold temperatures.  So...why not have an indoor snowball fight?  We did this last week and the kids had a blast. I should have allotted more time, as this went over better than I thought.

For the needs of our primary, I pre-selected 5-7 wiggle/play/review songs and printed them on pieces of paper (just the page number).  Then, I handed a piece to each child in our primary.  I had a rather large red bucket with me in the front of the room and told the kids we were going to have a snowball fight.  But!! You can't forget to share the following rules:
  • Snowballs can ONLY be thrown at me (the chorister)
  • Snowballs cannot be thrown directly at the face

I had the back rows come around to the front and tried to align everyone so the poor sunbeams/front rows weren't getting hit in the head.  The kids then crumbled up their snowballs and threw them at me (as I held the bucket). I would choose a song to sing from the snowballs that made it in to the bucket.  For the senior primary, I held the bucket and slowly spun around to make the game more difficult.

Depending on the size and needs of your ward, here are a few alternatives to this game you could use:
  • Hand out blank papers and let the children write their favorite song.
  • Hand out papers with the page number already written, but have the children write their name. If their snowball is selected they can pick a silly way to sing the song (humming, stop/go, or use the cards mentioned here.)
(Thank you to my sister-in-law for sharing this idea with me.)
Do you have ideas? Post your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment